Transplanting Pushkin. A Symposium on Reading, Translating and Adapting Eugene Onegin
- Date: 16 February, 09:30–18:30
- Location: The Humanities Theatre, English Park Campus Eng 22-0008
- Lecturer: Keynote by Douglas Hofstadter, Lars Erik Blomqvist, Sibelan Forrester, Ulrik Franke, Eva-Britta Ståhl, Yulia Tikhomirova, Susanna Witt
- Organiser: Institute for Russian and Eurasian Studies
- Contact person: Julie Hansen
This symposium explores the beauty of Alexander Pushkin's masterpiece Eugene Onegin through its many translations and adaptations. Literary scholars, translators and readers of Pushkin will reflect together on the joys, challenges and effects of transplanting Pushkin's novel-in-verse into several different languages and media. The keynote speaker is Douglas Hofstadter, whose Onegin translation was published in 1999. The symposium will conclude with literary readings.